VM 4ch quickie review.... - FloridaSPL
FloridaSPL

Go Back   FloridaSPL > General Discussion > General Audio Discussion

Old 03-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
luke81
FloridaSPL Addict

Default VM 4ch quickie review....

Had this sexy beast dropped off today, and well....yeah. I had a few minutes between jobs coming in to crank it up quick, I can do something a little more detailed with more pics if anyone wants but I think this tells the story.
First off, whole stole the rest of the guts?

Before we get to numbers here's a few things I noticed:
1. The gain is junk. At full low the amp still puts out a fair amount of sound even with less than 0.5 volt input. I didn't meter the output voltage but at 1000hz it was plenty of sound to hear from my showroom with the Speaker in the bay on the bench. Why this matters: Noise Floor! This amp is going to hiss, squeal, whine like nuts. And if you have a good HU/crossover/EQ ahead of it feeding any sort of good input voltage it's going to clip hard real quick. If I have time later I'd like to hook it to one of my 5 volt Sony radios to test this. The manual says it'll take 8 volts. Um, no.
2. It's built dumb. The terminals are under the edge of the endcap, so you have to remove the endcap plastic thing to hook it up.

The test rig was a 12 volt battery sitting at about 12.9 and my nano scope. Speaker was an 8" Bazooka 4ohm. Bass boost was fully off (according to the knob) and x-overs were full range during the whole test.
Numbers:
1 channel playing 60hz got 10.5 volts before it clipped. 4 ohm nominal speaker, rising to around 8.1 while playing. That's under 14 watts of clean Power calculating in the rise.
Same setup playing 1000hz got to 10.9 before it clipped. I also noticed an oddity in the waveform, which is the picture below. That notch certainly doesn't belong there. It's always there regardless of how hard the amp is playing. Also the wave constantly shifted up and down while playing the tone, meaning that the output level was varying up and down a few volts even when it should have been holding dead steady. I tried another speaker to verify it wasn't some odd impedance thing and it wasn't.

I also tried 4 ohm load resistors instead of speakers. These actually metered at 5.1 ohm. They still have some rise because they get warm quick and the impedance will shoot up when they're hot so I just just "burping" the amp into them. Still the amp is limited to right at 10.7 volts per channel before it clips. That's simply all the output voltage the amp's guts can make, regardless of input voltage or load. So if we're generous and say it made 11 volts at 5 ohm then it can cleanly make about 23 watts of power per channel.

I verified the DC current draw with a single channel playing 60hz on the speaker. 4.3 amps at the point of clipping.

That's all I got, I've got other cars to work on. But from that 10 minute test I can determine this: This company is junk and is ripping off every person who pays for this stuff. This amp produced less than 10% of it's rated power even if we're being generous. With the bass boost maxed and gain maxed I was able to get a blast of 17.4 volts into the resistors but the wave was darn near square.

Here's the pic of the notch in the wave:

The Following User Says Thank You to luke81 For This Useful Post:
GetDown (03-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
BoNeZ305
FloridaSPL Addict

Awesome need to get me a couple of these monsters
BoNeZ305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
PEDRO MODEAN
FloridaSPL Addict

hahaha i knew it would be junk.
PEDRO MODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
PHATBOi
FloridaSPL Addict

Dammit man...

Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Ryan6789
FloridaSPL Addict

Is this VM innovations brand?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
jay-cee
FloridaSPL Addict

I don't believe you and your test is rigged. I have one of these amps and its bridged to my 12s my doors move almost 2". Door Waves FTW
jay-cee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
FLAstrongman
Super Moderator
FloridaSPL Addict

So after the test was over did you take it out to an empty field and beat it to death with a baseball bat and let the anger flow through you so much that you dropped the bat and beat it with your fists?
FLAstrongman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

The Following User Says Thank You to FLAstrongman For This Useful Post:
BoNeZ305 (03-22-2013)

Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
iamamp3pimp
Bass Gangsta
FloridaSPL Addict

Send a message via AIM to iamamp3pimp Send a message via Yahoo to iamamp3pimp

hahahahahahaha man thats awesome.

I wasa going to do this, but it looks like you beat me to it.

Trash amps ftl

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
luke81
FloridaSPL Addict

Ryan6789, yes sir it is.
Haha no, no beating it yet. I've got a few more tests I want to try. I wonder if it actually has a protection circuit. I know how to find out!
luke81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Chevy Slam
FloridaSPL Addict

Thats more horrible than even chuck predicted, thanks for the review. I dont think ive ever seen a sinewave like before.
Chevy Slam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

The Following User Says Thank You to Chevy Slam For This Useful Post:
jay-cee (03-22-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the FloridaSPL forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

If you're using Yahoo, check your spam box for the registration e-mail from FloridaSPL.

Email Address:

Log-in