Alpha Damp - First Impressions - FloridaSPL
FloridaSPL

Go Back   FloridaSPL > Knowledge Base > FloridaSPL.com Knowledge Base

Old 07-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Second Skin Rep Jon
n00b

Default Alpha Damp - First Impressions

ANT was kind enough to send me over some of the new Alpha Damp, so I thought I would let everyone know what I think of the new product.

First impressions.
Yeah lets just say it's f*cking insane! Anyone who dares to compare this to Peel & Seal needs to be punched in the brain.

Specs:
Alpha Damp measures up to the specs published, 10 mil foil, 60mils thick.
Because of the butyl adhesive as well as the thicker foil, the product weighs in at .6 pounds per square foot with the release paper according to my scale. That is the same as Damplifier Pro.
The sheer strength of the constraining layer is astonishing, nothing even comes close.

That is a 3.2 pound free wight being supported by Alpha Damp, spanning a 10" gap. Every other product I've tested and/or used can barely support it's own weight without sagging. A 1 pounds weight folds the other products in half (with exception to Damplifier, Damplifier Pro, and SDS CLD Tiles).

Cutting and installing it:
I actually have a guillotine for cutting these products and have never had an issue, it has made quick work of every product I've had (some 30 of them). Alpha Damp is the one exception, it took a bit of effort to slice through the stuff. A utility knife... again had some issues. Scissors, no way. Tin snips or some sheers are going to be the best method IF you have to cut it. Since Alpha Damp comes in a smaller 10.4" x 14.4" size, the need for cutting has been limited.

The adhesive is awesome. Alpha Damp seems to have a stronger initial bond than Damplifier and Damplifier Pro with the adhesion strength getting stronger over time.
Heat is not an issue for it. I temp tested it at 250°F for an hour and a half and it didn't melt or budge a single millimeter.

Performance:
Based on the six tests that I ran, Alpha Damp performs better than Damplifier Pro. And this is based on how well the product can reduce and control vibrations.

Strictly based on the data that I've collected and the stress tests that I perform, I am very impressed. Not a single corner has been cut to produce this fine product and it shows.
I believe everyone will be very pleased with the performance and quality of Alpha Damp.

If anyone has any questions that I didn't address, feel free to ask!

Up close and personal pic of Alpha Damp:
Second Skin Rep Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the FloridaSPL forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

If you're using Yahoo, check your spam box for the registration e-mail from FloridaSPL.

Email Address:

Log-in