Send a message via Skype™ to josef344

How much was the re-cone?
josef344 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #22
GetDown
FloridaSPL Addict

kinda off topic but I had my buddy drop his 12w7s off to be re-foamed at this local Speaker repair shop that has been in business for like 30 years... anyway they put a huge crack in the middle of the cone on one sub. I feel like a jerk for recommending them even though they've done work for me in the past without issues.

I told my buddy to take it back up there and demand that they fix it. How you gonna put 1k+ to a sub that has a crack through the center of the one piece cone!?!??! It's actually like a 2 inch chunk broken and they tried to glue it or rig it somehow. The one guy told him that he can try to find him another w7 cheap for my buddy to buy but not making any promises. Are you kidding me!????

That's like dropping your Car off to get a strip of tint put on your windshield and the installer cracking the windhield, and then telling you "oh we don't sell windshields, but hey your strip is on there lookin nice, I can find somebody to sell you a windshield cheap".

yea Im mad
GetDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #23
Chevy Slam
FloridaSPL Addict

I think jl charges between 150 and 260 for recones depending on the size of the w7.
Chevy Slam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #24
GetDown
FloridaSPL Addict

Ima get pics of this **** getting pissed thinking about it

Old 04-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #25
josef344
FloridaSPL Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to josef344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Slam View Post
I think jl charges between 150 and 260 for recones depending on the size of the w7.
I was asking on how much the Psi/JL hybrid recone.
josef344 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #26
GetDown
FloridaSPL Addict

coils are all fine, why should he have to come out of pocket to recone the sub that the repair shop who was just refoaming it broke???????? **** we are 30 minutes away from Jl headquarters, I'm just gonna take my **** to them for surrounds or do them myself

Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
Tim2902
SPL + Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Slam View Post
JL gets right at $400 to go completely through a w7. They do not sell parts for their stuff for someone else to fix. And, they Build just about all their high end stuff with at least one thing proprietary to keep people from "modifying" it. That's why when you call up most anybody about working on JL amps or subs, they'll tell you they don't. And it's because they can't get parts.

Can't say as I blame them. They've built a good rep, and for good reason. Once you've got that built, I can understand them wanting to keep the quality control (and the business) in house.

I just wanted to do something different. If I don't get the results I'm looking for, I'll just send them down to the guys at JL and get them done back to factory specs. I've had them take care of anything I've ever run into over the years and they do great work, and are very easy to deal with. They also give awesome product and technical support as well. JL is just an all around great American company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef344 View Post
How much was the re-cone?
Get in touch with David at http://www.fixmyspeaker.com/ and send him a service request through the website. Once he gets to you (usually a day or two, he's always slammed) he'll get up with you to discuss what you want done, and quote it accordingly. He knows his stuff. And is the only one I know of who will even touch JL stuff.

I will warn you though, if your cones and/or surrounds are tore up he's not going to be able to help you. Those are unique to the 12w7 and are only available through JL. And like I said, JL does not sell them to anybody.

Mine were all good. Although, my surrounds were pretty sun drenched from being in a hatchback installation and David worked on them and got them looking as good as new!

Hope all this helped!
Sail Panels: JL Audio C2 Coaxials
Front Stage Amp: JL Audio 300/4
Subs: 2 x JL Audio 12w7
Sub Amps: 2 x JL Audio 1000/1
Enclosure: Custom Trunk Box by Pirate Customs, Tampa, FL
Wiring, Fuse Holders, Distribution Blocks: KnuKonceptz
Alternator: Tenney 240 Amp
Batteries: XS Power D3400 Under Hood,Stinger SP1700 (Crescendo Logic F-31HP coming soon) in Trunk
Tim2902 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
BIGJEFF64
FloridaSPL Addict

so i assume its no longer a single 3 ohm vc maybe that why it gets angrier? and probably handles more power still a clean sub i always liked the W7's wish i didnt get rid of mine till i did more testing

Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
Tim2902
SPL + Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJEFF64 View Post
so i assume its no longer a single 3 ohm vc maybe that why it gets angrier? and probably handles more power still a clean sub i always liked the W7's wish i didnt get rid of mine till i did more testing
Exactly... They are 4ohm now. Which works out fine since I run each one off of a 1000/1. So with the RIPS the amp doesn't care.

Hopefully I can get up with Andy (bass wrench) and get some time on his TL before the Crescendo show to tune her up and start figuring out how to do this competing thing. Ought to be fun.

Wish I could figure out how to keep it from trying to knock the decklid off of it though... (besides turning it down...lol)
Tim2902 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
reelfish92
FloridaSPL Addict

If you're in St.Pete and need meter time let me know.
reelfish92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the FloridaSPL forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

If you're using Yahoo, check your spam box for the registration e-mail from FloridaSPL.

Email Address:

Log-in